Skip to main content

Our Response to the Alabama IVF Ruling

What is a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

What does reproductive endocrinology include?

Reproductive Endocrinology is a sub-specialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This requires 4 years of medical school followed by completion of a 4-year residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Training for reproductive endocrinolgy includes:

  • Medical and surgical treatment of disorders of the female reproductive tract
  • Caring for pregnant patients
  • Delivering babies

After completing a residency program, a physician would apply through a highly competitive system to receive additional training in Reproductive Endocrinology. This is referred to as a fellowship and includes a 3-year intensive training program, which focuses on understanding the complexities of the human female reproductive system.

Reproductive Endocrinologists receive board certification by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. These require both written and oral examinations.

What do Reproductive Endocrinologists treat?

Reproductive Endocrinologists are fertility specialists who specialize in the following fields of study and can treat the following fertility issues:

  • Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
  • Endometriosis
  • Hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction
  • A congenital adrenal hyperplasia
  • Tubal factor infertility
  • Male factor infertility
  • In vitro fertilization (IVF)
  • Fertility preservation
  • Congenital uterine anomalies
  • Other disorders of the female reproductive tract

Collectively, this field is called Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Most of the patients seen by Reproductive Endocrinologists are experiencing fertility-related issues.

Start your journey

Talk to one of our board-certified reproductive endocrinologists today.

Schedule Your Consult